Monday, April 4, 2011

Please Stay



Spring seems to be coming and going, not sure if it wants to reside here or leave.  I wish I could tell Spring just how much I wish it would stay.  Stay to share sunshine and play, stay to bring delightful flowers and showers, stay to bask in warmth and love.  I do love Spring.  Please stay, Spring, please stay! 

I created a spring tray to show my love of the season.  It began life as a Toastmaster tray.  I have found that these trays were a gift with purchase of a toaster.   These were gifts in and around the 1930's.  I found an old advertisement showing the original intention of the tray.  Isn't it cute?

Somehow the tray found it's way to our local Goodwill.  I think it is fun to imagine it's first life and the home it was in.  Anyway, I was able to purchase it for $1.00.  It was a bit rough and needed some TLC.  So after the years of it's use as a serving tray, I thought I would give it new life as a ode to Spring. 

Here is the way this poor little tray was when I picked her up and brought her home. 


One of the things I loved about our little
tray was the small lines at the edges. 
It just gives her a little bit of 'lipstick' so to speak.



Here are the clues to her former life.



Even though I am refinishing the tray,
I will preserve this portion as I found it. 

First off, I gave our little tray a good bath in bleach water. 
Then I let her dry and sanded her down smooth.



The sanding was so easy. 
Our little tray wanted to be re purposed. 

Next for her new makeup. 
I applied a pretty pink shade. 



Doesn't she look pretty in pink?

Next, as a nod to her well worn age,
I applied a crackle medium.
After letting that dry, I applied pure white over the top.
I do so like watching the magic of the crackle paint.



I chose a scrapbook paper to place on
the inset of the tray and mod podged it down.

I then painted some small flower details on the ends of the tray.



The mod podge did pull off some of the crackled white paint. 
If anyone knows how to prevent this, please leave me a comment. 

I used my Cricut to cut out various scrolls, flourishes, vines and the like
that once positioned correctly spelled out LOVE. 



I then mod podged the lettering/flourishes to the inset of the tray.

I had to use a scraper to make sure all areas were well adhered
and were free of bubbles.



Once the mod podge was all dry, I sprayed the entire thing with
a good acrylic coating. 

I am displaying it in the a full Spring display. 
Do you think Spring may appreciate it and stay?
I do hope so!




May you have a week full of blessings and spring!!!


barbwired blessings!

Got a LINK on @


http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com/


7 comments:

  1. That tray is spectacular!! The LOVE is just beautiful! I'm totally on the lookout for a tray to spiff up now! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna tray too! Love the L-O-V-E. This would be so pretty in so many places in the home. Great re-purposing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. REALLY adorable!!! I love that you kept hints of the original tray in there. Lovely color choices and application as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute!!! I hopped over from Wandering Wednesday and now a new follower. Please stop by sometime.
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! It is the hardest thing for me to pass up any tray. I love them and use them for various purposes. They're really handy to keep around the house. I'm your new follower!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear what you have to say. Please leave me a comment. Thank you so very much! HUGS!!