Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!!  I hope everyone is getting to spend some special time with your special one(s)!  
Since I plan on spending the rest of the evening with a couple of handsome guys, we will do a quick tutorial to finish up our 'Thank You' cards.

Here is another glimpse at our finished product
The heart with 'Blessed' across it, is actually a refrigerator magnet.  The one you give it to can always have a reminder of how blessed you felt when they prayed for you.

The first step in the magnet is to get the supplies together.  You will need polymer clay in the colors of red and white, a roller, heart cutters and an embossing press.  Whatever you choose for your clay is fine, there are several great brands.  I got this clay at Michael's in the after Christmas clearance.  I was able to get it on the 80% off, so this is my favorite brand.... the least expensive!  I think the pack cost me all of 33 cents!
I also have a really expensive (ha ha) roller.  I think it came in a painting kit to extend a roller.  I did not need it for that, so it was repurosed here.  My point in say ing all of this is... Do not feel like you have to go out and buy the most expensive or all new.  Use what you have and get what will not break your bank.
Before we go any further, let me apologize for some of the pictures in this tutorial.  I did not realize until now just how horrible they are.  Hopefully you will get the idea though.

Second step will be to roll out the red polymer clay to 1/4 inch thickness.  Place the embossing plate on top of the clay and roll the pattern in to the clay.  
Take your heart cookie cutters and cut out two sizes of hearts.  Once you use these cookie cutters for clay, do not use them for food purposes again. 



Stack the two hearts, large on bottom and smaller on top like this.
Next take the white clay and roll it out really thin.  Cut ribbon like strips out of the white.



Now place the white ribbon strips across the stacked hearts like this.

Place the clay in the oven per manufacturers directions.  My clay was 250 degrees for 12 minutes.

Once done baking, take the hearts out of the oven and let them cool.  After they have cooled take a Micron permanent pen.  This is pen is one that will not bleed or run.  I have found it to be the best one to use on these projects.  Write your message "Blessed" across the white strip. 

Next you will need to find some strong magnets.  I found mine at Tuesday Morning and I LOVE them.  They are small gold cubes and can hold just about anything at all.  Take the beloved E6000 and glue the magnet to the back. 


Next you will need some acrylic glaze.  I found this on clearance at Michael's also.  It is triple thick and covers well without any bubbling or yellowing. 


Just spray your hearts until you are satisfied.  You are ready to put them on the cards once they are dry. 

I hope you have a super blessed Valentine's day!  I will see ya tomorrow!  Thanks for being here with me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear what you have to say. Please leave me a comment. Thank you so very much! HUGS!!